Monday 11 June 2012

Thanks for the extra day off

"We got an extra day's holiday to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee last week, which was nice. Watched a bit of the celebrations on TV, but thought to myself, how do I really want to remember this event? I won't look back in 10, or 20 years and think, "on the Jubilee, I sat and watched the telly", so I decided to pack myself, tent and dog into the car and head off for a spot of wild camping on the Ardnamurchan peninsula.

I have to say it was a truly mind-blowing experience, which I'll remember for a long while. Glorious weather (which seemed to be unlike the rest of the UK), quiet, peaceful and best of all, still light at midnight. I was in my element snapping away as the twilight lasted for hours. I photographed until about 11.30pm, then sat with the dog, a wee Crabbies Ginger Beer and watched the light fade away after midnight.

Grabbed a couple of hours sleep and then back up for the sunrising at 3am… photographed for another couple of hours until the light became too bright, then packed up and headed home to get the kids and go swimming for 10…" (Stuart Stevenson)

No comments: